Check out our successful Oxbridge personal statement examples below. You will find a collection of standout personal statements that have helped students gain admission to the prestigious universities of Oxford and Cambridge. These Oxbridge personal statement examples can serve as inspiration and guidance as you begin to write your own. Whether you are applying to study law, natural science, economics, or any other course, these examples can help you showcase your unique strengths and experiences in a compelling way.
- How to Apply to Cambridge University
- How to Apply to Oxford University
- The Best Cambridge Colleges
- The Best Oxford Colleges
Successful Oxbridge Personal Statement Examples
Oxbridge Personal Statement Example For Economics Course
I volunteer at a local soup kitchen in Singapore, where I help distribute food and check on the well-being of lower-income families living in public housing. One day, we encountered a family of five who were all seriously or terminally ill, but were not receiving any government social support and had been relying mostly on NGOs for assistance. This experience highlighted a social issue that concerns me – the lack of adequate social security support in Singapore despite its economic strength. I believe more attention should be paid to addressing poverty and inequality. I volunteered at the soup kitchen not only to help those in need but also to understand their struggles, as their interests are often overlooked.
As an economics student, I have learned how well-informed economic policy can improve lives by guiding social analysis. This subject excites me and has motivated me to learn more through books, volunteering, and participating in economics-related competitions. For example, I received a distinction award in the National Economics and Financial Management Quiz, which tests quick thinking, logical, and mathematical skills. I also submitted an essay for the GlaxoSmithKline-Economic Development Board Book Prize on how Singapore can capitalize on Asian talent as a source of growth. In addition, I participated in the local Math Olympiad and received a bronze award, and completed a month-long internship at Centennial Asia Advisors, where my work contributed to the analysis of the Great Recession and the process of purchasing bonds to address the crisis. This experience gave me a greater understanding of the importance of economic policy and its application.
I am also actively working to make a difference. Along with a group of friends and an NGO, I am committed to helping the village of Tom in Cambodia escape poverty by building schools and providing water filtration devices for villagers. We also plan to support children with scholarships through fund-raisers. Personally helping Tom overcome poverty is one of my goals, and I believe that a strong understanding of economics will be essential in achieving this.
In addition to my academic and volunteer pursuits, I have also participated in various activities that have helped me grow as a person. For example, I participated in The Odyssey of The Mind, a competition that challenges teams to think creatively through dramatic performances. Our team won the World Championship after competing against teams from 60 other countries. I am also an avid sailor, having represented my school as captain and Singapore in international competitions. What I value most from these experiences are the relationships I formed with my teammates and the importance of dedication and perseverance in achieving success.
At school, I helped start the Young Diplomats’ Society, an interest group focused on Model United Nations Conferences (MUNC). At Princeton University MUNC, I received an honourable mention, and at the Nanyang Technological University MUNC, I received the Dorothy Cheung Award for Best Delegate. I also organized the annual [email protected], serving as Chief of Staff in one year and Secretary General in another. These MUNCs sparked my interest in global politics and led me to research the causes of the Rwandan Genocide for my IB Extended Essay, a 4000-word research paper that I thoroughly enjoyed and received an “A” grade for.
As John Maynard Keynes said, an economist is part philosopher, part statesman, and part mathematician. I hope to study economics so that I can learn how to make changes on local, regional, and global levels.
Oxbridge Personal Statement Example For Law Course
I have always been drawn to the fields of law and justice. Even as a child, I was fascinated by the concepts of right and wrong and how they were applied in society. My interest in history has also allowed me to learn about the evolution of the legal system over time.
During my school years, I took on leadership roles, including being a Senior Prefect and a member of the Student Council. These experiences gave me a unique perspective on how a school operates and the importance of rules for both students and staff.
In my GCSE years, I had the opportunity to study Critical Thinking, which allowed me to hone my analytical and debate skills. As part of this course, we visited Winchester Crown Court, giving us the chance to observe a court case in person and see the legal system in action. This experience had a profound impact on me and further solidified my desire to pursue a career in law.
I also gained valuable insights into the legal profession through a two-week work placement at a local solicitor’s firm during the summer between school and college. During this time, I was able to observe court proceedings and learn about the daily operations of a solicitor’s office.
In my free time, I enjoy reading classic fiction such as “Great Expectations” by Charles Dickens and “North and South” by Elizabeth Gaskell. I also enjoy cooking, travelling, and leading a healthy and active lifestyle.
I am confident that my personal skills, knowledge, attributes, and work ethic make me an excellent candidate for a law degree at your university. I hope to use my time at university to develop the skills and qualifications necessary to have a successful career in law, and to gain further experience in the courtroom.
Oxbridge Personal Statement Example For Natural Sciences Course
I was always fascinated by the natural world and spent hours exploring the forests and streams near my home. This curiosity eventually led me to pursue a degree in biology at Oxford University, where I excelled academically and gained valuable experiences that have prepared me to take the next step in my education.
Throughout my undergraduate studies, I have taken a range of ecology courses and consistently earned high marks. In addition to my coursework, I have also been actively involved in several extracurricular activities that have allowed me to further explore my interests in biology and ecology. For example, I have participated in research projects on Forest Eco Programme and have worked as an intern at EcoBio Ltd where I gained valuable hands-on experience.
One of the things that set me apart from other applicants is my passion for biology and my dedication to making a positive impact in the world. This drive was sparked by my achievements in school, which taught me the importance of the environment and motivated me to pursue a career in which I can make a difference.
I am excited to apply to the biology course at Oxford University because of its reputation for excellence and its commitment to providing students with a world-class education. I believe that the University of Oxford will provide me with the knowledge and skills I need to achieve my goals and make a meaningful contribution to my field.
I am confident that my strong academic and extracurricular background, along with my passion and dedication, make me a strong fit for the course. I am eager to join the vibrant intellectual community at Oxford and to continue pursuing my goals in biology.
Oxbridge Personal Statement Tips
Focus on the following suggestions to write a successful personal statement for Oxbridge:
- Start by thinking about your goals and why you want to pursue them at Oxbridge. What sparked your interest in your field of study, and how have your experiences prepared you to pursue it at a top university?
- Reflect on your achievements and experiences. What have you accomplished that demonstrates your potential to succeed at Oxbridge? This could include academic achievements, extracurricular activities, internships, or other experiences.
- Consider what makes you unique. What sets you apart from other applicants and makes you a strong fit for the program you’re applying to?
- Write in a clear and concise manner, using concrete examples to illustrate your points. Avoid using overly complex language or jargon, and be sure to proofread for spelling and grammar errors.
- Edit and proofread your personal statement carefully. It’s important to take the time to polish your statement and make sure it’s the best it can be.
Personal Statement Examples
- Mechanical Engineering Personal Statement Examples
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering Personal Statement Examples
- Quantity Surveying Personal Statement Examples
- Social Work Personal Statement Examples
- Physiotherapy Personal Statement Examples
- Journalism Personal Statement Examples
- English Literature Personal Statement Examples
- Marketing Personal Statement Examples
- Computer Science Personal Statement Examples
- Fashion Marketing Personal Statement Examples
- Dietetic Personal Statement Examples
- Product Design Personal Statement Examples
- Aerospace Engineering Personal Statement Examples
- Geography Personal Statement Examples
- Business Management Personal Statement Examples
- Politics Personal Statement Examples
- Psychology Personal Statement Examples
- Oxbridge Personal Statement Examples
- Zoology Personal Statement Example
- Sociology Personal Statement Example
- Fashion Personal Statement Example
- Mathematics Personal Statement Examples
- Software Engineering Personal Statement Examples
- Philosophy Personal Statement
- International Relations Personal Statement Example
- Biochemistry Personal Statement Example
- Dentistry Personal Statement Examples
- Midwifery Personal Statement
- Law Personal Statement Example
- Medicine Personal Statement for Cambridge
- ICT Personal Statement
- Chemical Engineering personal statement
- Primary Teacher PGCE Personal Statement
- PGCE Personal Statement Example
- Games Design Personal Statement
- Paramedic Science Personal Statement Examples
- Occupational Therapy Personal Statement
- Pharmacy Personal Statement Example
- Criminology Personal Statement Example
- Radiography Personal Statement
- Actuarial Science Personal Statement Example
- Artificial Intelligence Personal Statement Example
- Accounting Personal Statement Example
- Optometry Personal Statement
- Archeology Personal Statement Example
- Design and Art Personal Statement Example
- Economics and Business Personal Statement Example
- Accounting personal statement example
- Architecture Personal Statement Example
- Mental Health Nursing Personal Statement Examples