Applying to Earth Sciences course? You will need a good personal statement for your UCAS application. Read our Earth Sciences personal statement examples below. Both examples are from great students who applied to Oxford and Cambridge.
Earth Sciences Personal Statement Example – 1
In standing at the precipice of what could be, I am drawn to the Earth Sciences, a discipline as dynamic as the world it seeks to explore. My fascination with the field sparked when I learned about Alfred Wegner’s theory of plate tectonics, which revolutionised geology just a century ago. This underscores the modernity and evolving nature of Earth Sciences, inspiring me with the realisation that there are yet innumerable discoveries awaiting us in this exciting subject.
Ever since I was young, I’ve been captivated by all areas of science. My inquisitiveness and refusal to accept answers without explanation have perpetually driven me towards understanding the mechanisms of our world. Among these, questions about our singular planet, the powerful tectonic and geomorphological processes that move continents and shape landscapes, hold a unique allure for me. It’s this intrigue, coupled with the prospect of studying a subject drawing from mathematics and all areas of science, that propels me towards Earth Sciences.
My A-level subjects have equipped me with a robust scientific foundation, arming me with a range of skills transferable to the realm of Earth Sciences. Particularly, Geography has spurred my interest, aiding me in honing analytical skills and in understanding the impact of physical processes on people and the environment. A recent field trip to The Jurassic Coast, Dorset, demonstrated the practical applications of theoretical knowledge, which I found particularly insightful. The book “Supercontinent” by Ted Nield furthered my intrigue, especially the theory that the seemingly trivial arrangement of continents might have prompted the evolution of complex life.
I was fortunate to attend a summer school at Oxford University, where I was exposed to various facets of Earth Sciences. I was especially fascinated by experimental petrology, where the conditions of rock metamorphism could be replicated and studied. Here, I applied mathematical skills to solve problems in a novel way, adding another layer to my multidimensional understanding of the field.
My engagement at school extended beyond academics. As a member of the school council, I represented student voices and participated in local town council meetings, honing my debating skills and appreciation for diverse perspectives. I also took pride in winning the school science shield and being nominated for the Rotary Club Young Achiever Award in year 10.
Outside school, I enjoy hiking and long-distance walking, often participating in charity walks. I relished the National Three Peaks challenge, not just for its physical rigour, but for the opportunity to experience some of the country’s most striking mountain ranges. This love for the outdoors aligns well with a fieldwork-based subject like Earth Sciences. I also enjoy watching documentaries, with a recent one on the Earth’s core prompting a thoughtful piece for my physics coursework.
Having travelled to the Grand Canyon in 2001 and witnessing the grandeur of nature, I was prompted to delve deeper into understanding Earth Sciences. Throughout my A-Levels in geography, maths, and physics, I discovered new facets of Earth Sciences, including the study of peri glaciation during a field trip to the Lake District.
Taking a gap year has enhanced my maturity and given me valuable work experience. As a partner at Waitrose, I developed social awareness, teamwork, and communication skills. I also pursued my interest in languages and engaged in tutoring, which has kindled my interest in teaching as a future career. Additionally, I enjoyed the challenge of managing a charity and the fulfilment of raising funds for a school in need.
Enthralled by the boundless potential of Earth Sciences and equipped with diverse skills, I am eager to embrace university life. I am prepared to work diligently, with an ambition to contribute to research and possibly pursue a career in this exciting field. The myriad puzzles Earth presents are a call to scientists like me, and I am more than ready to answer.
Earth Sciences Personal Statement Example – 2
The unfolding chapters of Earth Science—climate change, ocean acidification, and the paradox of fast fashion—pose formidable challenges that humanity must tackle in the 21st century. I am persuaded that the key to addressing these challenges lies in the comprehensive study of Earth Science, a subject that marries physical geography with chemistry and fosters my fascination with groundwater geochemistry and atmospheric science, particularly in the Global South.
My journey started in A-Level geography, where simultaneous study of CUE, and Water and Carbon triggered my interest in geochemistry. This inspiration fuelled my Non-Examined Assessment (NEA) on the environmental impacts of infrastructure development, which polished my analytical acumen and introduced me to ArcGIS.
An enlightening lecture in March 2022 by Dr Shreyashi Dasgupta, titled ‘Makeshift Accommodation in Cities of the Global South’, further ignited my passion for this region. Dr Dasgupta’s insights challenged prevailing Western perceptions of development and prompted me to reflect on the concept of “slum” and the evolution of makeshift accommodations.
My intrigue led me to Kathleen McCarty’s seminal work, ‘Arsenic Geochemistry’. McCarty’s elucidation on mechanisms of contamination and subsequent soil degradation, especially in South-East Asia, underscored the necessity of better analytical tools to measure arsenic contamination. I am convinced that this would improve food security and the quality of life in these regions. Conversely, Sadiq Ahmed, in ‘Leading Issues in Bangladesh Development’, attributes the country’s urban decline to government corruption. I, however, contend that water contamination is a pivotal hindrance to Bangladesh’s development. Comparing these perspectives has honed my interpretation skills, helping me grasp the intricate interplay of geological challenges and uncontrolled urbanisation on social and environmental stability.
Chemistry lessons have laid the groundwork for my understanding of physical geography, specifically the implications of anthropogenic air pollution. Independent research on the Antarctic ozone hole broadened my perspective, revealing a negative feedback loop in the Global South and piquing my interest in atmospheric science.
In March 2018, I attended the Stowe School Climate Action Conference where Ed Davey’s appeal for cross-party climate action resonated with me. Davey’s talk underscored the significant role of government in climate crisis management, underlining the pressing need for global environmental awareness.
Recently, I partook in the FT e-waste essay and the RGS Young Geographer of the Year competition, both of which honed my data presentation skills through the use of Esri Story Maps. On July 2020, I aim to volunteer with IVHQ on sustainable agriculture projects in Puerto Rico and Nepal. Immersion in diverse cultures and landscapes, alongside learning sustainable practices in developing countries, will equip me with the invaluable experience and cultural competency needed to excel in university-level Earth Science studies.
Outside of my academic pursuits, I volunteer as an online mentor in chemistry and geography, enhancing my leadership and communication abilities through direct interaction with students. My keen interest in Earth Science’s various facets, combined with my academic accomplishments, prepares me for the rigours and rewards of studying this significant subject at university. The Earth’s story is ongoing, and I am excited to play a part in understanding and shaping its future chapters.
Popular Personal Statements
- Statistics Personal Statements
- PPE Oxford Personal Statement Example
- Classics Personal Statement Examples
- Theology Personal Statement Examples
- Physics Personal Statement Examples
- Chemical Engineering personal statement examples
- Oncology Personal Statement Examples
- Psychiatry Personal Statement Examples
- Earth Sciences Personal Statement Example
- History Personal Statement Examples
- Veterinary Personal Statement Examples For University
- Civil Engineering Personal Statement Examples
- User Experience Design Personal Statement Example
- Finance Personal Statement Examples
- Neuroscience Personal Statement Examples
- Graphic Design Personal Statement Examples
- Film Production Personal Statement Examples
- Events Management Personal Statement Examples
- Counselling Personal Statement Examples
- Forensic Science Personal Statement Examples
- Children’s Nursing Personal Statement Examples
- Chemistry Personal Statement Examples
- Sports Science Personal Statement Examples
- Mechanical Engineering Personal Statement Examples
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering Personal Statement Examples
- Quantity Surveying Personal Statement Examples
- Social Work Personal Statement Examples
- Physiotherapy Personal Statement Examples
- Journalism Personal Statement Examples
- English Literature Personal Statement Examples
- Marketing Personal Statement Examples
- Computer Science Personal Statement Examples
- Fashion Marketing Personal Statement Examples
- Dietetic Personal Statement Examples
- Product Design Personal Statement Examples
- Aerospace Engineering Personal Statement Examples
- Geography Personal Statement Examples
- Business Management Personal Statement Examples
- Politics Personal Statement Examples
- Psychology Personal Statement Examples
- Oxbridge Personal Statement Examples
- Zoology Personal Statement Example
- Sociology Personal Statement Example
- Fashion Personal Statement Example
- Mathematics Personal Statement Examples
- Software Engineering Personal Statement Examples
- Philosophy Personal Statement
- International Relations Personal Statement Example
- Biochemistry Personal Statement Example
- Dentistry Personal Statement Examples
- Midwifery Personal Statement
- Law Personal Statement Example
- Medicine Personal Statement for Cambridge
- ICT Personal Statement
- Primary Teacher PGCE Personal Statement
- PGCE Personal Statement Example
- Games Design Personal Statement
- Paramedic Science Personal Statement Examples
- Occupational Therapy Personal Statement
- Pharmacy Personal Statement Example