Your Journalism personal statement is a crucial element of your UCAS application. It is your opportunity to showcase your passion for journalism, your relevant experiences, and your potential to succeed as a journalism student. Check our journalism personal statement examples for UCAS, which can inspire and guide you in writing your successful personal statement.
Whether you are interested in broadcast journalism, print journalism, or digital and online journalism, these examples cover a range of topics and styles that can help you stand out to admissions tutors.
Journalism Personal Statement Example
As an A-level student in Business Studies, English Literature, and Religious Studies, I have always been passionate about education and learning. I have always been fascinated by the power of the written word and the impact that journalism can have on shaping public opinion and educating society. That is why I am so excited to pursue a career in journalism and continue to make a positive impact on society.
My interest in journalism was first sparked during work experience placements at my local newspaper, The South Wales Evening Post, and a local radio station. During my time at the newspaper, I was allowed to work with experienced journalists and editors, assisting them with research, conducting interviews, and writing articles for publication. This experience taught me the importance of accuracy, objectivity, and the need to present balanced viewpoints. Additionally, at the radio station, I learned about the power of broadcast media and how it can be used to reach a wider audience and engage with listeners on a more personal level.
As a great believer in education, I see the role of the journalist as an educating force, an incredibly important one. The media has a responsibility to inform the public about current affairs and provide accurate and unbiased reporting. Through my work experience, I have seen firsthand how the media can influence public opinion and shape perceptions of different issues. I believe that journalists have a responsibility to provide truthful and accurate reporting, whilst also highlighting important social issues and driving change.
Outside of my academic routine, I have several hobbies and interests that keep me grounded and motivated. One of my favourite pastimes is reading, particularly books that explore different cultures and perspectives. I also enjoy running, which I find helps me to clear my mind and think creatively. By engaging in these hobbies, I can maintain a balanced lifestyle and stay connected with the world around me.
Throughout my academic career, I have strived to excel in all of my studies. During my secondary school years, I was one of the best students in my class, achieving high grades in all subjects. This has given me a strong foundation and the skills necessary to succeed in a career in journalism. Additionally, I have travelled around the world and visited 56 countries so far. This has allowed me to gain a wider perspective on different cultures and societies, which I believe will be invaluable in my future career.
I am excited to continue my education and pursue a career in journalism. I believe that my passion for education, my experience in the media, and my diverse interests and hobbies make me an excellent candidate for this field. I am committed to using my skills and talents to make a positive impact on society, and I look forward to the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.
Recommended for further reading:
- How to Write a Personal Statement for a Master’s
- How to Write a Personal Statement for a PhD
- UCAS Personal Statement: A Writing Guide And Tips For Success
- Tips for Writing a Personal Statement for the University
- How to Write a Personal Statement That Stands Out
- Personal Statement Examples UK
- Writing a Winning Medical Personal Statement
- How To Write A Personal Statement For Psychology
- How To Write A Dentistry Personal Statement
Personal Statement Example For Journalism
I am driven by my passion for the English language and the power it holds to inform, engage and inspire people. With a deep-rooted affection for the written word and its ability to capture the essence of life, I have always been fascinated by how language has evolved. As a student of English Literature, History and Media Studies, I have been able to explore this evolution in detail and develop my unique voice as a writer.
Studying English has allowed me to think critically, analyse the techniques used by both fiction and non-fiction writers and express my ideas and opinions through a portfolio of work. Through this, I have learnt how to craft compelling narratives, convey complex ideas with clarity and precision, and engage readers through powerful storytelling. My studies in History and Media Studies have complemented my understanding of English, allowing me to appreciate the importance of context, perspective, and the role of media in shaping our understanding of the world around us.
Outside of academics, I am involved in many creative pursuits that allow me to develop my skills as a communicator and storyteller. I participate in a drama group, where I am honing my skills in characterisation, improvisation and public speaking. I am also working towards my Bronze Arts Award, which involves creating and performing a piece of original drama. Additionally, I enjoy playing the piano, which requires a large amount of patience, creativity and dedication – skills that I believe are essential for a successful journalist.
I am proud to have received Young Writers Award from my Secondary School, recognising my talent and dedication as a writer. These accolades have encouraged me to pursue a career in journalism, where I can use my skills to inform, educate and entertain readers on a wide range of topics. I am excited about the prospect of being able to tell stories that matter, whether it is through investigative journalism, features or opinion pieces.
My passion for the English language, combined with my academic pursuits and creative pursuits, have prepared me well for a career in journalism. I am eager to continue my journey as a writer and storyteller, and I believe that a degree in journalism will provide me with the knowledge, skills and experience needed to make a meaningful contribution to the world of media.
Personal Statement Examples
- Psychiatry Personal Statement Examples
- Earth Sciences Personal Statement Example
- History Personal Statement Examples
- Veterinary Personal Statement Examples For University
- Civil Engineering Personal Statement Examples
- User Experience Design Personal Statement Example
- Finance Personal Statement Examples
- Neuroscience Personal Statement Examples
- Graphic Design Personal Statement Examples
- Film Production Personal Statement Examples
- Events Management Personal Statement Examples
- Counselling Personal Statement Examples
- Forensic Science Personal Statement Examples
- Children’s Nursing Personal Statement Examples
- Chemistry Personal Statement Examples
- Sports Science Personal Statement Examples
- Mechanical Engineering Personal Statement Examples
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering Personal Statement Examples
- Quantity Surveying Personal Statement Examples
- Social Work Personal Statement Examples
- Physiotherapy Personal Statement Examples
- Journalism Personal Statement Examples
- English Literature Personal Statement Examples
- Marketing Personal Statement Examples
- Computer Science Personal Statement Examples
- Fashion Marketing Personal Statement Examples
- Dietetic Personal Statement Examples
- Product Design Personal Statement Examples
- Aerospace Engineering Personal Statement Examples
- Geography Personal Statement Examples
- Business Management Personal Statement Examples
- Politics Personal Statement Examples
- Psychology Personal Statement Examples
- Oxbridge Personal Statement Examples
- Zoology Personal Statement Example
- Sociology Personal Statement Example
- Fashion Personal Statement Example
- Mathematics Personal Statement Examples
- Software Engineering Personal Statement Examples
- Philosophy Personal Statement
- International Relations Personal Statement Example
- Biochemistry Personal Statement Example
- Dentistry Personal Statement Examples
- Midwifery Personal Statement
- Law Personal Statement Example
- Medicine Personal Statement for Cambridge
- ICT Personal Statement
- Chemical Engineering personal statement example
- Primary Teacher PGCE Personal Statement
- PGCE Personal Statement Example
- Games Design Personal Statement
- Paramedic Science Personal Statement Examples
- Occupational Therapy Personal Statement
- Pharmacy Personal Statement Example
- Criminology Personal Statement Example
- Radiography Personal Statement
- Actuarial Science Personal Statement Example
- Artificial Intelligence Personal Statement Example
- Accounting Personal Statement Examples
- Optometry Personal Statement